Now that we have gotten into some routine, I thought I would share what our day looks like. Ultimately things are going so well. I’m still tweaking things here and there.
We are very relaxed with the time we start. On average we start around 10:00, have lunch at 12:00, then again from about 1:00-2:00. It takes 2 1/2-3 hours.
The boys do a few things independently:
- Reading and reading response
- Copywork (they are currently copying 2 sentences from Story of the World)
- Spelling practice
I do these things one on one with them:
- The Good and the Beautiful (which includes language arts, art appreciation, poetry, and geography)
- Determine which words to practice for spelling
We do these things together:
- Read aloud (A novel, The Story bible, and Story of the World)
- Math U See
- Nature studies (a few days a week… sometimes independently too)
- Science (a few days a week… The Good and the Beautiful Marine Biology right now)
This is our read aloud time. Sometimes we do it on the couch. Sometimes we do it at the table while they play with play dough or paint or color or play with Legos. Yesterday we had some pie also. They listen so well when they keep their hands busy.
The Good and the Beautiful is so amazing. I love being able to work one on one with the boys. The next level that they do will be independent so I’m enjoying it while I can.
While they are with me, I work with them on their dictation.
Spelling is practiced many different, creative ways. I determine what words they need to practice by having them write words that are dictated and we find 5-6 words that they get wrong each week to practice.
We usually do math in the living room because we can easily watch the video and use the manipulatives.
We do nature studies together some. Yesterday I had them take a walk together (just the two of them) and then record what they found.
Our science is so fun and hands-on!
We have so much fun! I’m so thankful for this opportunity.